TOP TEN FAVORITE HEROINES
1. Hermione Granger – the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling. DUH. It’s HERMIONE. If there ever was a badass heroine in literature, it’s her.
2. Yelena – the Study Series by Maria V. Snyder. If you’ve been reading for awhile, you know that I’m OBSESSED with the Study Series, so Yelena is a very obvious choice for me.
3. Blair Waldorf – Gossip Girl. Gossip Girl is hands down my favorite TV series (it’s surprisingly taken Sex and the City’s spot in my world) and Blair Waldorf is such a strong female character. While she’s manipulative and sometimes crazy, she’s still my absolute favorite. She is definitely the heroine of her own life.
4. Katniss Everdeen – the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I recently watched Mockingjay Part 1 and while I didn’t think it was good as the others, it’s a strong reminder of how heroic Katniss is.
5. Annie Walker – Covert Affairs. I had to throw her in. My husband and I binge-watched Covert Affairs over the span of December and I am totally in (platonic) love with Annie Walker. When I was little, I wanted to be in the FBI when I grew up, and while Annie is in the CIA so it’s different, I love living vicariously through her.
6. Dr. Temperance Brennan – Bones and Temperance Brennan Series by Kathy Reichs. I love Temperance on TV and in the books—though I would say they’re completely different characters, personality-wise. However, both are resilient, kick-ass, and smart…I love that!
7. Agent Carter – Agent Carter. We’ve been watching our fill of the new short series, Agent Carter. I haven’t read the comics, but I’m definitely digging the TV version of her. In a male dominant profession (you know, being a spy and special agent), she’s constantly battling (and beating) gender stereotypes.
8. Alanna – Song of the Lioness Series by Tamora Pierce . When I first read The Song of the Lioness series, I was completely captivated by Alanna. A total badass lady, she passes as a boy to fulfill her dreams of becoming a knight.
9. Avry – Healer Series by Maria V. Snyder. After rereading Fire Study, I think I’ve realized that the Healer series is my favorite Snyder series…primarily because of Avry, who is selfless and strong.
10. Hermione – Harry Potter by JK Rowling. There is no way I could have possibly left Hermione off of this list. Being the poofy brown haired nerd-child back in the day, I could seriously relate to Hermione. She helped me learn to be proud of my book smarts. (I don’t even care that she’s on here twice!)
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the Broke & the Bookish. Check out more Top Ten features on their site.